Kyoto Art Center was established in a hope to promote arts in Kyoto in a comprehensive way, and to serve as a bastion center for creation and dissemination of arts and culture. It serves as venues for exhibitions, stage arts and other artistic activities. At the same time it supports the activities of the artists. It has a library, information counter, a chatting room, and a café which is open to any visitors. (Please check the closing dates for each facility)
- 10:00 ～ 20:00
- 10:00 ～ 21:30
- 10:00 ～ 22:00
*The center may temporary close for a regular check of equipments. The library may also close irregularly. Please check it at the Library.
*Some events need admission fee. Please look at Event Schedule for the admission fees.
ROOMClick picture to see the detail.
- Japanese-style Hall
- Multi-purpose Hall
- Japanese-style Room “Meirin”
- Meeting Room 2
- Workshop Room
- Cafe ※
- Information Room※
- Library ※
Barrier free arrangements
- A Braille guide board and an interphone are installed at the entrance. For those who need assistance, we are happy to help them.
- Guide dogs, service dogs and hearing dogs are accepted. If you want to participate in a lecture or a workshop with such dogs, please let us know beforehand by phone. (075-213-1000)
For wheel chair users
- Wheel chairs are provided for free. Please let us know at our office.
- Our elevator can carry a wheel chair.
- Toilets for the wheel chair users are located on the 1st and 2nd floors of the south wing.
For those who have impaired vision
- A Braille guide board and an interphone are installed at the entrance.
- Inside the building including in the elevators are equipped with Braille guide boards.
For those who take babies.
- Baby beds for changing diapers are installed in the toilets for the wheel chair users on the 1st and 2nd floors of the south wing.
- There is no parking lot for the automobiles. Please use public transportation.
- Parking space for bicycles and motorcycles is located at the north of the building.
- This parking space is only for the visitors to the Kyoto Art Center.
- We may remove bicycles and motorcycles that are left there for a long time without notice.
Studios (12 rooms)
North Wing 1F – 3F,
South Wing 1F – 3F
KAC offers studios to artists working in visual and performing arts. Please refer to Artist in Studios for further information.
*This picture represents studio 6, 8, 9
North Gallery (North Wing 1F),
South Gallery (South Wing 1F)
Please refer to the Event Schedule to know about the current exhibition.
Image: The 26th National Cultural Festival in Kyoto 2011 “COLORS OF SEASONS” Makoto Ofune
Photo by OMOTE Nobutada
■Opening Hours: 10:00～20:00 (Galleries are closed during exhibition changeover period)
West Wing 1F
The Gymnasium of elementary school was converted into the Free Space for the artists. The floor was lowered to create semi basement and the ceiling was equipped with batons to hung lights and audio apparatus. This space is used for drama, dance, workshop and installation works.
Meeting Room 2
South Wing 3F
It is used for the orientation of volunteers and meetings of the artists.
North Wing 1F
This room is equipped with cooking stove, sink, and electric heater. It is used for creating dyeing work and pottery. It is also used for holding workshops.
South Wing 1F
Café of Maeda Coffee, a time-honored coffee shop in Kyoto is located on the 1st floor of the South Wing. They serve lunches and beverages. Maeda Coffee HP
10:00～21:30(last order 21:00)
■closed day：Pursuant to Kyoto Art Center
South Wing 1F
Record of programs of Kyoto Art center, artistic and cultural books and materials are available for reading. For details, please refer to the Library page.
*anyone can view in the library.
West Wing 1F
The shop sells the original goods, tickets of the events and performances of the artists in the Kyoto Art Center, and products which were exhibited at the gallery. For details, visit “shop page” and “ticket page”